Welcome to the AAMU, the only museum in Europe that is entirely dedicated to contemporary Aboriginal art from Australia.
Until 9 June 2013: exhibition Storytellers
In the current exhibition Storytellers five important stories from Aboriginal culture are told through superb art works on canvas and bark such as Dreamtime stories of the Rainbow Serpent and the Sugarbag Clan. Click here to read more about Storytellers.
Museum open on Whitmonday, May 20
Please be aware that the museum will be open on Monday 20 May, Whitmonday from 11.00am until 5.00pm.
On April 14, during the Cultural Sunday of the city of Utrecht that revolves around dance, cross-over dance group ISH will present a duet from their show Hyperish. Classic meets breakdance and hiphop meets modern in this new choreography, The dancers will also give a special workshop. For children there will be special workshop at the beginning of the afternoon. Entrance to the museum is free on this Sunday! lees verder...
On 6 and 7 April the AAMU will present various special activities including guided tours and a storyteller during the annual National Museum Weekend. Entrance is almost free, we only ask a symbolic admission of 1 euro during this weekend. lees verder...
Dutch author Inez van der Spek will speak of the failed emigration of her family to Australia in the 1960s and her renewed interest in Australia and fascination with the work of several Indigenous artists. lees verder...
In the Netherlands Professor Ad Borsboom is regarded as the leading expert on Aboriginal cultures. In close cooperation with him the story of the Sugarbag Clan is depicted in the exhibition Storytellers. In this lecture he will speak of his eponymous book and the bark paintings and stories of the Sugarbag Clan in Arnhem Land. lees verder...
- 16 October: Gordon Bennett and Aboriginal contemporary art: the radical alternative by Ian McLean
- 24 June: curator's floor talk for new exhibition Outsider / Insider
- 2 June: the city of Utrecht celebrate its anniversary
- 14 & 15 April: National Museumweekend at the AAMU
- Sunday 29 January: curator's floortalk Heart and Soul
- 10 December: diner with Aboriginal literature at Restaurant Zindering
- 21 December: a new lecture on Aboriginal astronomy by astophysicist Dr Ragbir Bhathal
- Like our Facebookpage and win 2 tickets and a guided tour!
- 4 September: music at the AAMU at the start of the new cultural season!
- 20 and 21 August: Aboriginal film weekend