Welcome to the AAMU, the only museum in Europe that is entirely dedicated to contemporary Aboriginal art from Australia.
What's on: exhibition Saltwater Country
The internationally travelling exhibition Saltwater Country opened in the AAMU in January and can be seen until April 19. This exhibition shows the great diversity of art produced by sixteen artist from Queensland and its coastal regions in north-east Australia. They have given visual expression to their intense engagement with the coastline and profound knowledge of the area in a variety of forms. These include colourful paintings, installations of large fishing nets made from recycled material, washed-up objects cast in bronze and intriguing photographic works about the first encounters with Europeans. Read more
Michael Cook's work Civilised #10 can be seen on the exhibtion poster of Saltwater Country. He is a photographer and made a series of intriguing photo art works about the earliest encounters between the Indigenous population in Queensland and the Europeans. This is a unique opportunity to hear this artist about his work. lees verder...
Daniel Boyd is one of the sixteen artists in the current exhibition Saltwater Country. In his work he reinterprets Australia's colonial history and the little know stories of slavery in Queensland. For this exhibition he will visit the Netherlands and speak about his work. lees verder...
On Sunday 2 November two special, exclusive film screenings take place in the AAMU of Above Us All. The film is shown in 3D and has only 20 seats per screening. Director Eugenie Jansen will join the audience to talk about the movie and its themes. lees verder...
The AAMU presents a debat on Art, visual culture and identity in and together with the academic-cultural centre SPUI25 in Amsterdam. Australian artist Adam Geczy will hold a keynote speech after which he will discuss the questions raised with visual artist Charl Landvreugd. Admission is free. lees verder...
- Summer Sunday afternoon concerts at the AAMU
- Wednesday 11 June: lecture about Indigenous literature by Dr Anita Heiss
- 5 and 6 April: national Museum Weekend
- 12 January: opening new exhibition Country to Coast
- Cultural Sunday Utrecht Uitfeest at the AAMU
- Now on sale: the catalogue of BOMB
- 8 June: presentation Nuon Solar Team: the World Solar Challenge 2013
- 30 May: film evening 12 Canoes
- 14 April: Cultural Sunday - cross-over dance group ISH at the AAMU
- 6 and 7 April: National Museum Weekend